Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Being Home

Now that I've been home less than a week, I feel domesticated again. I think the traveling took more out of me than the race itself.

I was supposed to go to a conference in Orlando next weekend and at this point I am just caught up on my sleep from Cleveland. The thought of flying across the country again this coming Thursday to sit on my butt for three days and then come back and recover from traveling again was more than I could handle. So I cancelled all my plans. Maybe next year. I'll stay here and get more work done and be less exhausted.

It's fall but the weather is still warm. I've been harvesting tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, green beans, raspberries, serrano and jalapeno peppers and carrots the past few days. I can barely keep up. The salads have been delicious. It's weird to be having all your summer veggies so late, but that was because we had to replant everything in July after the hailstorm. At least our growing season has been extended this far to let everything ripen.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be cooler and cloudy but I am going to watch the weather this week and get up to Estes Park to see the colors before they fade.

Dennis was gone for part of the time that I was gone, so the girls are watching both of us carefully.

Dennis came home from a conference and brought this little bug back with him. A norovirus particle. Cute. I can deal with the soft fuzzy ones but the real ones suck. Keep them away.

Speaking of viruses, the Iris virus has attacked us and is insisting on being spoiled ever since we got home.

I signed up for 24 Hours of Boulder today. I was going to wait and watch the weather but I figured what the hell. I want to do it, and if the weather sucks, I'll just see how bad it is. I'm looking forward to it. I've been running the past 3 days and it's almost scary how good I feel.

I don't feel at all like I ran 80 miles last Saturday. Yesterday I did 10.6 miles and felt great. I'm only getting about 20 miles of running this week, no more than about 40 next week, depending on how the legs respond, and then an easy week going into Boulder.
Yesterday I spent most of the day at a fundraiser for a local organization where I set up a table for my business. It was a golf tournament, and I sponsored a hole. It does support locals who have breast cancer, even though I prefer to keep everyone with cancer in mind, and that men get breast cancer too.

I did a radio show in late June and they just got the podcast up on their site. With the editing, it sounds like I'm talking a million miles an hour. There were actually breaks and 3 callers during the whole show which got edited out, so it sounds kind of jammed in there. But if anyone cares to listen, here is the link. It's about 30 minutes long. I will be speaking on the same show again on October 21st, the topic will be about the gaps in cancer care after treatment, and the pinkification of breast cancer.

I went for an easy run this morning along the Power Trail. The trees and foliage are starting to change colors down here. October is the most colorful month in town. My favorite.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your fresh from the garden veggies. Wish I had a green thumb. Iris looks sooo cute! Syd likes to lay in bed with us too...mostly in the mornings to wake us up. :) good luck at the Denver 24 hr. Can't beli how much energy you have after having just ran 80 miles! Your body and legs have outstanding recovery time, although I'm sure youve trained well for it.